History: World War II on Samish Island

Chalcedony light

«Return to History Page or About Samish Island Page

During World War II (1941-1945), a contingent of soldiers arrived on Samish Island to perform land/air/sea patrol for the duration of the war. A wooden observation structure was constructed along south-facing Samish Island Road. It was a small, rustic cabin on stilts surrounded by a narrow deck, rising some 16 feet off the ground and manned round-the-clock by volunteers. They were looking for enemy planes, on the chance that one might evade the large army installations near Port Townsend. Samish Islanders were mobilized to man the Ground Observer Corps.

Danny Moore, the young boy with the dog in the photo on the right, remembers that he and his mother spent many nights in the observation tower. When a plane would fly over, they would record and report to the Whidbey Naval Air Station the type of plane, configuration of the lights, and the sound of the plane's engines, direction and course. He recalls that his mom was a ground observer when the Russian Sputnik (October 4, 1957) was launched and they watched it, as well.

Spotting Station

 
On the enlarged photo:
Left to Right : Col. Ted Walford, Supervisor; Ann Walford, Chief Observer; Major Floyd McConnel, USAFR; Joan Baker, McKinley (Mac) Baker; Jimmy Vercoe; Mildred Hopley

Spotting Crew

Click either image to enlarge
On the enlarged photo:
Left side back, l-r: Col. Ted Walford, Supervisor, unknown, unknown
Left side front: Esther Lee Moore (Bowen)
Right side back, l-r: unknown, Mildred Hopley with daughter Nancy Hopley, Jimmy Vercoe, Bertha Norris, Joan Baker (Bertha's daughter, Mac Baker's wife), McKinley (Mac) Baker, who scheduled the watches.
Right Side front, l-r: Daniel (Danny) Moore and his dog; unknown; Ann Walford; Major Floyd McConnel, USAFR.
If you recognize any of the unidentified members of the Corps (marked unknown), please let us know. (info@samishisland.net)

The Spotting Station no longer exists on Samish Island, but was located along Samish Island Road, at the corner of Vicmar Road, on the current Langley Property during the 1940's and 1950's. The maple tree in the photo on the left of the post was removed in 1990's. View other Samish Island Historic Photos.

«Top

«Return to History Page or About Samish Island Page