Winter Light Photo Celebration
Join your neighbors and engage in your community during 48 hours of image-making and subsequent photo celebration. All members of the Samish Island Community are welcome to participate, no matter their age or photographic talent. Participation is capped at 50 photographers, so be sure to register early.
The goal is to share how you view the world from your own perspective. How do you see the birds on the bay? What is your view of the clouds in the sky? What strikes you visually? The photos do not need to be taken on Samish Island but do need to be taken within the 48-hour designated window, as detailed below.
Submit up to 5 photos to a three-person selection committee, and they will choose their favorite photo from each photographer. The selected image from each photographer will be printed and displayed at the Samish Island Community Center. All photographers will have one of their submitted photos hung in the celebration exhibit.
Saturday, February 11th, a family-friendly open house welcomes islanders and their guests from 3:00 to 5:00. An adults-only (21+) celebration runs in the evening from 6:00-9:00. The event’s $5 door charge includes a raffle ticket and appetizers provided by Chef Wayne Johnson. Terramar beer and cider will be available for purchase. Additional raffle tickets can be purchased.
Raffle items include:
- two tickets to the March 26th Pearl Django show at the Community Center & bottle of Cabernet
- a 60-minute massage gift certificate for a massage with Amy Colvin
- a basket of homemade Milk Bar treats
- a basket with a certificate for freshly baked scones, and Samish-made jam, honey, coffee, and trivet
- a $50 gift card to Terramar
All prints are available via silent auction.
Door entrance fees, additional raffle ticket sales, and photo silent auction revenues support SICC.
Details For Photographers:
- Open to all Samish Islanders regardless of age or photographic ability.
- Registration is $5 for a single photographer or $10 per family. The fee covers participation in the event, which includes image submission, image review by a three-person panel, and one selected image to be printed and exhibited during the celebration exhibition on February 11th, 2023.
- Shoot with any type of camera during the 48-hour window from Saturday, January 28th, 9:00 a.m. to Monday, January 30th, 9:00 a.m. Pacific time. Images must be submitted digitally.
Submit up to 5 photos by January 30th, 12:00 p.m. (noon). The selection committee will review images from January 31st through February 5th. All submitted images must be in a digital format. The selectors will choose the best photo from each participant, they are not judging participants’ photos against each other. You’ll receive submission information after registration.
Guidelines for submission:
- Shoot large files
- Color or black and white are acceptable; be creative
- At least 1500 pixels on the long side at 200 dpi is recommended
- If you are unsure, just submit the largest file possible
- Cell phone images work
- The accepted file type is .JPG
- When you submit your photos, let us know if you have a preferred print size for any particular image: 5×7, 8×8, or 8×10; we may not be able to accommodate all requests
Exhibit and Celebration Details:
Join us Saturday, February 11th, 2023, at the newly remodeled Samish Island Community Center for our Winter Light Photo Celebration! During the day, from 3:00 to 5:00 is a family-friendly all-ages showing. In the evening, from 6:00 to 9:00, is an adults-only (21+) celebration event.
This event is a fantastic way to visit with your neighbors, discover new photographic talent, expand your photo collection, view the world from another’s perspective, and support SICC. All photographers will have one submitted photo hung in the exhibit.
- The family-friendly exhibition runs in the afternoon from 3:00-5:00. No door charge; simply come and enjoy the show.
- If you’re over 21, dress up or dress down for a fun evening celebration event from 6:00-9:00.
- In the evening, a $5 door charge grants you access to the exhibit and includes one raffle ticket and appetizers by local chef Wayne Johnson.
- Terramar beer and cider will be available for purchase for $8 per pint.
- The raffle will be held at 8:00, winners need not be present. Multiple raffle tickets may be purchased.
- All photos will be for sale via a silent auction. Photos still available at 9:00 p.m. will be returned to the photographers.
- Selection Committee members: Anne Slattery, Camille Ireland, and Wendy White.
- Accepted payment methods include cash, check and PayPal QR; credit cards are not accepted.